Notes to my 15 year old self...

My teens were less than easy...actually pretty difficult. A lot of adults, especially in India, feel that young teens should have very less to worry about. We don't pay rent, get three great tasting meals on the table, we run, play and study. Pretty innocuous eh? Not. Its the stage in our lives when we are the least sure of ourselves. We are self conscious,  feel awful about our acne and everything else and who can forget the infamous periods for the womankind. There is so much going on, inside our bodies and outside of it, we just never pause. Until we realize that in the midst of the frenzy, we didn't really enjoy this phase of our lives.

As I approach my 3-0, I think of the 15 year old me ever so often. It makes me appreciate the journey of life but I empathize so much with that gal. She has so much potential but she has so many doubts. There is no reason for her to hate herself but she does. And she is alone...so alone, or does she really just feel that way. There is so much I want to tell her. I want to hang out with her, take her out for coffee, tell her its going to get better. So I have come up with a plan! I am going to write up some notes to her. Yes I do fear that she may not connect with everything since we have a generation gap now, but I have a feeling she will get it just fine!

If I ever have a daughter, I hope she reads them and knows that her journey through the teenage years is going to be a potpourri of crazy things but the most enchanting of all her travels.

As my appreciation to all teenagers across the world, especially those who were born in my part of the world, this is my ode to you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of Being Lost

Crossroads

When Grace Beckons...